AryaLinux 1.0 Aranya Release Notes
With this release of AryaLinux we would be abandoning the old versioning format comprising of year.month. It was cumbersome and difficult to maintain. With this release we are following the major.minor approach. Hence we start with version 1.0 with this release.
AryaLinux 1.0 is the latest in our ever evolving line of built-from scratch system. This is the first time we are releasing a Gnome version of AryaLinux and we plan on making Gnome the default desktop environment for Arya. Of course other desktop environments would be supported but AryaLinux would be a Gnome3 based distribution. Here is a glimpse of the changes that have happened in this release.
- Latest stable kernel as of July 02, 2018 - linux-4.17.3 ships with this release.
Upgrade in various packages:
- Gnome desktop
- Support for flatpak applications. You can install flatpak applications out of the box with AryaLinux.
A lot of changes in the base system build scripts:
- No more initrd using dracut
- New options in the build script - to create ISO and to install bootloader
ALPS undergoes a complete rewrite. ALPS is now based on python 3.x. More options in alps to support flexible package dependency specification while installing - helpful for power users.
- The default browser that ships with this release is Chromium. Though firefox can also be installed using alps but the default browser is Chromium.
- Fixes in the build scripts of a lot of applications to support gcc8
- Based on the latest SVN version of LFS/BLFS books
- Beta support for update and upgrade feature through ALPS
- Fixed the Installer
- New set of wallpapers and themes specifically to suit the Gnome desktop environment
- Deprecated few scrips like the gstreamer-0.x version libraries
- Fixed boot issues assocaiated with EFI booting
- Codebase for AryaLinux moves over to Bitbucket. While the older versions of AryaLinux would still be building from the github codebase, they would not undergo any further updates.
- With this release we are also providing partially built tarballs like the tarball of the base-system and tarball of the base system with x-server so that anyone can build a more customized system to be used either as a server or as a desktop.